Thursday 19 April 2018

Criminal who said he attacked sisters is now locked up in jail

Sisters Nicole and Amy Rice
Sisters Nicole and Amy Rice

Ken Foy

A criminal who admitted tying up two sisters and beating them has been arrested and locked up in relation to a separate incident.

Dean Fagan is wanted for questioning about an incident in which Tallaght sisters Amy (21) and Nicole Rice (19) were left battered and bruised after being attacked at an apartment in Newbridge, Co Kildare.

Gardai are now expected to arrest Crumlin criminal Fagan (25) in Cloverhill Prison in the coming days.

A 26-year-old Lucan man is also wanted for questioning by detectives and is understood to be still in Dublin.


Fagan was picked up on a bench warrant issued by Dublin District Court in June after he was convicted of counts of dangerous driving, criminal damage, failing to stop and uninsured driving on August 26 last year.

Nicole Rice, Tallaght, who recieved bad facial injuries after allegedly getting a beating from two men at an apartment in Newbridge, Kildare
Nicole Rice, Tallaght, who recieved bad facial injuries after allegedly getting a beating from two men at an apartment in Newbridge, Kildare

Fagan did not turn up for his trial, but was convicted in his absence after the court heard that he ploughed into a garda patrol van and car after crashing into three other vehicles during a road rampage in Tallaght.

He caused thousands of euro worth of damage to the five vehicles after he refused to stop for gardai and sped off at up to 100kph, Dublin District Court heard.

He is expected to face a sentencing hearing shortly.

Fagan was not in Ireland when he was convicted in court - he fled the country in the aftermath of the alleged assault of the Rice sisters on the night of May 14 last.

The sisters are understood to be recovering well from their horror ordeal, which allegedly started after they met the criminals on Facebook.

After weeks on the run, Fagan - who returned to Ireland last month and has almost 60 convictions for offences including possession of a firearm and criminal damage - called a Dublin radio station to defend his actions.

He told 98FM he was fighting with a man the girls knew and that was why trouble broke out.

"Yeah, she got a few slaps ... just a few slaps," he said. He added that he and his associate fled after the girls went public.

"We didn't leave immediately. We left when we heard what was being said."

He went on to say he attacked the girls because they wouldn't calm down.

"I had no choice but to do that [hit them a few slaps], it's a horrible thing to say.

"You see the one that's very badly bruised in the face ... she fell down the stairs with her hands tied behind her back.

"Fourteen steps and it's very steep, it is yeah. Down the bottom it's tiles. She fell head-first down there."

When asked why they were tied up he said: "'Cause we tied them to calm them down. Just with towels like and you can get out of towels."

He went on to say he wouldn't be convicted in court.

"It isn't going to go anywhere. I can tell you that now, it isn't going to go anywhere. I feel they have ruined my life over this.


"I have been to prison before and I can tell you that now, when you go to prison with a name like that it isn't a nice name to have.

"I tied them up because I was worried they were going to cause more problems for me and my friend. At this time, I was wanted. I had warrants for a separate thing.

"I am not saying I'm an angel in anyone's eyes. I've got convictions for some serious s**t," he said.

"When you go to jail, and people think you have done shit like this you get boiling water and piss thrown at you. When you are on the wings people throw shapes at you.

"I couldn't throw them out and call the cops because I had warrants out for my arrest."


Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News