Wednesday 18 July 2018

'Crimecall' sparks new leads in Annie McCarrick probe

Annie McCarrick: vanished without trace 23 years ago
Annie McCarrick: vanished without trace 23 years ago
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

Gardai have opened "significant lines of investigation" into one of Ireland's most high-profile missing women cases after a television appeal.

US student Annie McCarrick, vanished after a night out in Johnnie Fox's pub in Glencullen, Co Dublin, in March 1993.

The Garda Cold Case Unit has now taken over the probe and last night it was highlighted again on RTÉ's 'Crimecall' show.

Speaking after the programme, host Philip Boucher Hayes said the appeal had generated a huge public reaction.

He added: "A large number of calls [were received] which have opened up significant lines of investigation".

Mr Boucher Hayes was unable to expand on the developments but it is understood that gardaí are now hopeful of making a breakthrough in the 23-year investigation.

Speaking on Monday's 'Crimecall', Annie's mother Nancy confessed that she believes her daughter is dead. She described Annie's disappearance as a "terrible loss" and said she now just wants to get her daughter's body back.

"It's been a long time, such a very long time. I'm pretty sure, you know, that I'll never see her again. But I guess my greatest wish would be to be able to take her home and have a grave that I could go to.

"So, to find out what happened to her really would be a great gift at this point. It really would," she said.

When the Cold Case Unit becomes involved in a case. its role is to open up all possibilities in the investigation and review all the information gathered to date.

Working with local detectives, the team introduces a 'What if...' to everything, generating new lines of inquiry to move the investigation forward.

Nancy travelled from her home in New York to talk to 'Crimecall' and the Cold Case Unit about her daughter's disappearance.

Annie was just 26 when she vanished 23 years ago. Investigators know that she took the No 44 bus from Ranelagh to Enniskerry at approximately 3.40pm on March 23, 1993.

"We are reasonably satisfied that her journey took her beyond Milltown, but did she reach the village of Enniskerry? Would she have walked from Enniskerry to Johnnie Fox's on that cold, wet, miserable evening? Enniskerry is 6km away. It would have been dark," said Det Supt Walter O'Sullivan.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News