Two men have been charged with violent disorder and assault after two gardaí were attacked in Ballyfermot on Sunday night.
The men, one in his 50s and the other in his 30s, appeared before a sitting of Dublin District Court in the Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin this morning charged in relation to the assaults that saw the gardaí require hospital treatment.
Anthony Grogan (54) of Cherry Orchard Park in Dublin 10, and Steven Byrne (35) of Ballyfermot Avenue, Dublin 10, were both charged with two counts of assaulting a garda and one count of violent disorder.
They appeared before judge Paula Murphy.
Garda Conor Dooley of Ballyfermot garda station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution of Steven Byrne, while the arrest of Anthony Grogan was detailed by Garda Philip Nash, also of Ballyfermot garda station.
The court heard that both men made no reply when charged.
Applications for bail were made by both men but gardai objected on the basis of the seriousness of the charges.
The court heard that the charges of assaulting the gardai could see maximum sentences of five years on indictment and the violent disorder charge could warrant a maximum sentence of ten years.
Garda Dooley said the incident was potentially “life altering” for the victims and the accused.
The gardai also said that both men were arrested at the scene of the incident, there was significant CCTV evidence. They also felt that both men represented a flight risk.
The court heard Mr Grogan is an unemployed married father of five and has four grandchildren, while Mr Byrne is a father of three working in the pest control industry.
Judge Murphy said that the charges in the case are of a very serious nature with potentially significant custodial sentences, but the accused were entitled to a presumption of innocence.
She granted bail for Grogan on condition that he offer his own bond of €10,000 of which €5,000 would have to be lodged, as well as an independent surety of €5,000.
He was also ordered to reside at his address, observe a 11pm to 6am curfew, surrender his passport, stay in the jurisdiction, sign on at Ballyfermot garda station between 9am and 9pm, and be available to gardai.
Bail was granted for Byrne on condition he provide his own bond of €6,000 with a €3,000 lodgement and an independent surety of €10,000 of which €5,000 was to be lodged.
He was also ordered to reside at his address, observe a 11pm to 6am curfew, surrender his passport, stay in the jurisdiction, sign on at Ballyfermot garda station between 9am and 9pm, be available to gardai, and not to be in contact with his co-accused.
Both Grogan and Byrne were remanded in custody with consent to bail to Cloverhill prison, with Grogan to appear before court again on November 29 via video link and Bryne to appear tomorrow, November 23.
Four people were arrested in relation to the incident, with a woman in her 50s charged by gardaí on Monday and released from custody, while a fourth man in his 40s is still in Garda custody in relation to the assaults.
One garda suffered facial injuries after being beaten over the head with his own torch during the attack outside a pub in Ballyfermot in the early hours of yesterday morning, not long after midnight.
The officers were responding to reports of a row at the premises and were assaulted after trying to defuse the situation.
The assault comes just weeks after the ramming of a garda car in Ballyfermot after which more resources were promised to support officers in the area.
Sources told the Irish Independent that the two injured gardaí are attached to a different station but had been deployed to the area to help boost resources.
The male garda was punched and kicked several times while he was also beaten with his own torch.
His colleague also suffered injuries, and both were taken to St James’s Hospital.
The male garda required several stitches and staples for injuries to his head and also underwent further scans yesterday before being released.
After initial treatment, the female officer was discharged and is also recovering at home.