Teenager shot in North Dublin alongside friends was stabbed just hours earlier
Shooter opened fire at three teenagers with shotgun from 40 metres
One of the three teenagers shot in North Dublin last night was stabbed in the arm just hours earlier, Independent.ie can reveal.
The youngsters were struck with shotgun pellets when the shooter opened fire as they stood alongside a bonfire on Shangan Green, Ballymun shortly before 8pm on Monday.
The shooter was standing approximately 40 metres away at the time of the attack and a source said the pellets sprayed out striking the victims in the neck and head.
The males, aged in their late teens, were taken by ambulance to The Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and Children's University Hospital, Temple Street where they were treated for minor injuries.
Independent.ie has learned that one of the men, aged in his late teens, was stabbed in the arm earlier on Monday. He was treated for the injury and later discharged.
A source said the two incidents are "most likely" connected to a local feud.
The teenager who was both stabbed and shot is linked to notorious criminal Glen Kiely who was himself injured a shooting in Ballymun at the start of the year.
Kiely (30), who has more than 40 convictions and was previously jailed for his part in a violent attack on a man, was struck a number of times and one of five bullets fired at him shattered his hip and lodged in his body in January.
It is believed that the attack on Kiely was carried out by members of the so-called New INLA as part of a dispute between gangs that has been ongoing in the locality since the murder of Ian McConnell (28), who was shot dead in Ballymun 11 years ago.
Following the January shooting associates of Kiely kidnapped four young men, including the teenager stabbed and shot on Monday, in a bid to garner information about the incident.
The teenager denied any involvement in the shooting.
“This is a volatile situation at the moment. There are a number of chaotic and dangerous individuals out there who are determined to cause mayhem.
“One day they will stabbing a man and the next they will be best friends.”
The source added: “This incident last night had the potential to be fatal. The shooter fired indiscriminately at a group of men standing at a bonfire from around 40 metres.
“Any number of innocent people could have been injured or worse.”
Local councillor Noeleen Reilly said the attack was “disgraceful” and called for increased garda resources in the area.
She said: “We have never had less Gardai on the beat in Ballymun, the shooting last night has shocked the community and we are terrified of an escalation of this violence.”
She claimed the police force has been “slashed” in the area and said gardaí do not have the resources to tackle simultaneous incidents in different parts of the district.
“Across Dublin we are losing the battle with drugs and crime as far as i can see. I do believe that there are more drugs in areas than there were 10 years ago.”
She called on the Justice Minister to visit the area: “Frances Fitzgerald needs to come to Ballymun to address this shooting before it escalates any further.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Ballymun Garda Station on 016664400, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.