| 4.9°C Dublin

Suspect in Tallaght stab murder arrested after separate knife incident

Ademola Giwa (25) suffered fatal injuries to his neck when he was stabbed on Tuesday


Ademola Giwa

Ademola Giwa

Ademola Giwa

The chief suspect in a fatal stabbing in Dublin was arrested in Dundalk yesterday after gardaí responded to an emergency call that he was holding a knife to another man.

The incident happened at a house outside the Co Louth town yesterday afternoon and forced the occupants to flee the property.

Sources said the officers from Dundalk managed to “subdue” the suspect and then took him to Tallaght garda station, where he was being questioned last night about the murder of Ademola Giwa. 

Gardaí believe a “simmering” local dispute was the motive behind Tuesday night’s stabbing.

Mr Giwa (25) suffered fatal injuries to his neck when he was stabbed at Mac Uilliam Road, close to his home, at around 7.15pm.

Tributes have been paid to Mr Giwa, who had lived in the community for most of his life in nearby Mac Uilliam Parade.

The chief suspect is a Tallaght-based man aged in his 20s who is known to gardaí.

Officers quickly established that the knife attack was linked to a “violent row” in the area earlier on Tuesday.

Sources said gardaí are not looking for anyone else in relation to the murder and are satisfied the suspect travelled to Dundalk in the aftermath and met with associates.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

He is also being investigated for the alleged violent incident that happened yesterday in Dundalk before his arrest.

As well as being questioned about the Tallaght murder, the suspect, who was known to Mr Giwa, is also being questioned about an assault on a man aged in his 50s during the same incident.

“A second male in his 50s continues to receive medical attention for non-life-threatening injuries sustained during the same incident,” a garda spokesman said. A source told the Irish Independent: “It was a very violent scene and the victim suffered catastrophic blood loss.”

A large number of public order units from across the city’s southside rushed to the area and detectives at the scene gave CPR to Mr Giwa.

He was taken to Tallaght University Hospital, where he died shortly after arrival.

Throughout yesterday morning, gardaí searched the area for the murder weapon, and an area of Mac Uilliam Road was cordoned off for several hours.

It is understood Mr Giwa was being investigated as part of a garda investigation into money laundering and the recruitment of money mules by a locally based criminal organisation, but he had not yet been questioned.

“Gardaí were looking at recent information they had received in relation to this, but investigations were at a very early stage,” a source said. 

A former football manager who worked with Mr Giwa described him as an “absolute gentleman” who was “big into his fitness”.

Antony Dempsey, who is originally from Tallaght, managed Mr Giwa several years ago when he played for Marks Celtic football team as a teenager.

He said he was shocked to learn of the killing involving somebody he knew well.

“It’s very sad news,” he said. “We heard about it last night and then this morning.

“He had stopped playing football but we were still in contact on Instagram.

“He was an absolute gentleman, to be honest, and I never heard a bad word said about him.

“I know a lot of people from the Tallaght area, and he wasn’t mixed up with any gangs or anything.

“He was just a really nice guy.”

Most Watched