Thursday 23 January 2020

Man who killed innocent doorman Brian Fitzgerald found unresponsive in prison cell

Gary Campion (Inset) and Mountjoy Prison
Gary Campion (Inset) and Mountjoy Prison

David Raleigh and Cathal McMahon

A notorious double killer has been rushed to hospital after he was found "unresponsive" in his prison cell following a suspected drugs overdose.

Gary Campion (32), from Moyross in Limerick City is serving two life sentences, for the 2002 murder of innocent nightclub security doorman Brian Fitzgerald, and the 2006 gangland murder of "Fat" Frankie Ryan.

Campion was rushed by ambulance to hospital from his cell at Mountjoy this morning.

"He overdosed in his cell. He's on his last legs," said a senior source. has learned that Campion was observed by staff receiving a package yesterday.

He was moved to a segregation unit where he was discovered unresponsive shortly before 8am today.

He is currently in a coma in the intensive care unit (ICU) at the Mater Hospital.

A prison source said: "He was observed receiving something. He refused to hand it over to staff so he was put into a segregation unit

Gary Campion
Gary Campion

"He was discovered here unresponsive this morning. He had a pulse but he was in a very poor condition."

Campion had made moves to appeal the two murder convictions last year.

Brian Fitzgerald, (34), was shot dead outside his home at Brookhaven Walk, Corbally, on November 29, 2002, after finishing his shift at Docs night club.

Mr Fitzgerald, who was head of security at the venue, was killed when he refused to allow members of the Dundon/McCarthy gang sell drugs in the club.

Campion was convicted largely on the evidence of another hitman who was paid to shoot Mr Fitzgerald.

UK national James Martin Cahill, pulled the trigger and Campion drove him from the scene on a motorbike.

Cahill, who turned state witness, is also serving a life sentence for the murder.

Campion murdered his former associate Frank Ryan while they both sat in a car in Moyross on September 16, 2006. He shot his friend in the head as he sat directly behind him in the vehicle.

He was found guilty of both murders in two separate Central Criminal Court trials and given two life sentences, first by Mr Justice Peter Charleton on November 15, 2007, and then by the late Mr Justice Paul Carney on May 28, 2009.

Campion has spent a large part of his adult life in prison.

He has been implicated in four murders and was the first person to be convicted of two gangland killings.

The father-of-two previously threatened to kill a prison officer telling him he had shot people in Limerick for €10,000 and would have "no problem" paying twice that sum to have the officer shot dead.

"It wouldn’t be my first time," he told the officer.

Campion's brother, William is currently serving life in prison for the murder of bachelor farmer Patrick Skehan.

The 68-year-old from Bridgetown, Co Clare, died from his injuries two months after William Campion robbed his home in 1998.

Mr Skehan was found badly beaten and unconscious, with his hands and legs bound with cable wire, and hanging upside down from the banisters.

Gary Campion's older brother Noel, (34), was shot dead in April 2007 during the height of the Limerick gang feud.

Noel Campion was a convicted armed robber, and wasn’t long out of jail when he was gunned down in Limerick city.

Originally from Southill, the Campions moved out of the area in the late 1980s and relocated across the city to Moyross.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News