Man stabbed 40 times and dumped in ditch identified by gardaí
Polish national (33) had been living rough in recent times
Gardaí have identified a man who was stabbed up to 40 times before his body was dumped in a ditch.
Independent.ie can reveal that the victim was 32- year-old Polish national Michal Kurek.
His last known address was in Blanchardstown but he had been living rough in recent times.
The victim was not a known criminal and sources said he suffered with alcohol addiction. The murder is not being investigated as part of the capital's bitter gangland feud.
Gardaí are now trying to contact his family in Poland before releasing his details publicly. His body will also need to be formally identified.
Investigators are satisfied that the man was not killed where his body was dumped.
The grim discovery was made by a member of the public in north Dublin at about 10.40am on Friday.
The man's remains were discovered in a laneway off the R129 Ballyboughal to Oldtown Road, about a kilometre outside Ballyboughal, Co Dublin.
Detectives from Balbriggan Garda Station are leading the detailed probe into the capital's latest murder.
No arrests have been made so far.
Gardai are investigating whether the victim had been dumped from a car.
As part of their investigations, they are understood to be trawling through CCTV to identify the vehicle and route taken by the man's killers.
"We're appealing to anybody who might have been in the area [Friday] morning or [Thursday] evening," said Superintendent Noel Carolan, from Balbriggan Garda Station, at a media briefing yesterday afternoon.
"We're not entirely sure how far back this man's body actually came to the scene here.
"Anyone who was here over the last day or two who saw anything suspicious, or unusual vehicles, or people in the area, to get in contact with us at Balbriggan Garda Station.
"We'd like anyone who was his family, his work colleagues, to be in a position to come forward and let us know when they last saw him."
He said investigating officers are certain the man met a violent end.
"We are satisfied it is violent, and we are at a stage where we have commenced a murder investigation," said Supt Carolan.
"We don't have any reports of anyone missing in the area or locality.
"It looks as if he could have been there overnight, or maybe even a couple of days before that."
They do not believe the area the body was recovered was where the stabbing took place.
"In all probability, we are probably looking at a situation where the fatal injuries did not take place here," he said.
"It probably means there is more than just one scene."