Tuesday 23 January 2018

Man accused of midlands crime spree further remanded in custody

Stock photo
Stock photo

Tom Tuite

A MAN charged over an alleged midlands crime spree after a petrol station was raided, a rifle fired and a van hi-jacked has been further remanded in custody.

Joseph Moore (31) with an address at Market Mews, Marlborough Village, Co. Laois appeared via video-link before Judge Victor Blake at Clovehill District Court on Wednesday.

He was further remanded in custody to appear again at the same court on Oct. 18 next.

He had been refused bail at an earlier stage in the proceedings following objections by gardai.

He faces a string of charges in connection with a series of incidents on Aug 18 last and the following day in Co. Laois.

The accused had also been hospitalised for several day following his arrest and prior to his first court hearing on Aug. 24 last. He had also missed a subsequent hearing because he was getting further treatment.

Garda Keith Shier of Portlaoise station had told the district court earlier that he charged the accused with four offences.

The man replied: “I am so sorry” when charged with threat to kill or cause serious harm to a named woman at his home address on Aug. 18. The charge is contrary to Section Five of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

He made no reply when charged with stealing the woman’s car on the same date.

He replied “I am so sorry” when charged with robbery of the Emo filling station Portlaoise Road, Mountrath during which €930 was taken in early hours of Aug. 19 last.

He also had another charge for unlawful seizure, “by threat of force”, of a ‘08-reg VW Caddy at nearby Derrykearn, Abbeyleix, minutes later.

It follows other alleged incidents which has led to him being charged with burglary at the home of a named man at Oldtown, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois on Aug. 10 and robbery the following day at Jones Oil, at Tea Lane in Portlaoise during which €1,970 was allegedly taken.

Det Garda JP O’Brien had told the court that Mr Moore replied “I am sorry” to both of those charges.

Det Garda O’Brien had said it was alleged a “fully loaded rifle” was discharged when a vehicle was hi-jacked and there were more serious offences. Directions from the Director of Public Prosecution needed to be obtained.

Defence solicitor Mr Keenan had told the court his client suffered significant injuries and was in Midlands Regional Hospital in Tullamore for a number of days after the alleged incidents.

Legal aid was granted after the court heard the accused was not working.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News