Saturday 21 September 2019

Gangland shooting of Kirwan captured on high-quality CCTV

*Gardai obtain high-quality CCTV of murder
*CCTV was upgraded when gardaí notified Kirwan of threat against his life
*Gardaí investigating if Kirwan was trying to mediate in dispute

Murder victim Noel Kirwan and Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch
Murder victim Noel Kirwan and Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch

Ken Foy

The latest murder in the bloody Kinahan-Hutch gang feud was fully captured on high-quality CCTV at the victim’s home.

A massive garda investigation is continuing into last Thursday’s gun slaying of Noel ‘Duck Egg’ Kirwan (62) – the 11th murder in the feud between the Kinahan cartel and associates of Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch.

Last night, sources revealed that gardai have obtained high-quality CCTV of the murder taking place from cameras installed at the victim’s home.

The CCTV system at Kirwan’s house on St Ronan’s Drive in Clondalkin was upgraded when gardai formally notified him of a threat against his life after he accompanied Hutch to the funeral of his brother, Eddie Hutch Snr, last February.

Officers are examining every aspect of the CCTV footage in a bid to identify those responsible and their movements before, during and after the murder.

It is not yet known if the killers attempted to disguise themselves.

Gardai investigating the murder are hoping that arrests will soon be made.

Kirwan moved out of the Summerhill area of the north inner city to Kilbarrack several years ago and had been was living with his partner, Bernadette Murray, in Ronanstown in recent years.

Ms Murray had a lucky escape as the killer, who had been lying in wait, opened fire when the couple were sitting in their car at 5.10pm.

A small van believed to have been used in the shooting was found burnt out at Neilstown Shopping Centre a short time later.

Several shots were fired at Kirwan before the assailant ran off and escaped in the getaway vehicle, which was driven by an accomplice.

Kirwan spent his final few hours at the funeral of a close associate in Finglas before making his way home.

Sources have revealed that specialist gardai will formally interview a number of Kirwan’s closest associates “under caution” in the coming days.

Read more: Murder victim Kirwan tried to mediate with Kinahans and paid with his life - now associate is plotting revenge

“The aim of this is to get a clear picture of exactly what disputes the victim had been involved in during his last few weeks alive,” a source said.

Sources said officers are investigating whether Kirwan had been involved in a row with an older associate of an “out-of-control” thug from Dublin’s south inner city, who is a member of the Kinahan cartel.

The Herald previously revealed that gardai were investigating if Kirwan was shot dead after trying to mediate in a dispute between the Kinahan cartel and their own mob banker.

Kirwan attempted to prevent the cartel from carrying out an attack on the gangland banker, who also works for the Hutch mob.

The Kinahan outfit had previously attempted a hit on the gangland moneyman at his home on November 23, without success.

Nobody was injured during the gun attack, but gardai believe it was an attempt to seriously harm or kill the banker.

This individual has no previous convictions but is suspected of involvement in the financial aspect of the Hutch and Kinahan gangs.

Following the attack, Kirwan tried prevent further attacks on his banker pal.

Gardai believe this failed bid to reason with the cartel could be the reason why Kirwan was shot dead.

Kirwan was a childhood friend of The Monk and was a prominent anti-drugs campaigner in the north inner city during the 1990s.

He was also a close friend of James ‘Jaws’ Byrne (69), the father of slain Kinahan gangster David Byrne.


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News