Tuesday 19 November 2019

Assault which left man (31) in coma so violent that ERU called to hunt attackers

"They broke practically every bone in his face, it was a very violent attack. They were jumping and dancing on his head at one stage"

A garda checkpoint.
A garda checkpoint.
Robin Schiller

Robin Schiller

An unprovoked assault which has left a 31-year-old man in a coma was so violent that members of the armed Emergency Response Unit (ERU) were called in to hunt the assailants.

The sickening attack occurred on Captains Road, Crumlin at approximately 1.30am on Monday morning as the victim and a friend were returning home.

The two men were set upon by a group of around eight men, with the vicious thugs jumping on the head of one of the victims.

One of the victims, who was named locally as Mark Conway was put into a medically induced coma but is believed to be responding positively to treatment.

Emergency services were called and armed members of the elite ERU unit were called in due the serious nature of the attack.

A 26-year-old local man was arrested on Monday afternoon in relation to the incident. Members of the ERU supported by local detectives from Crumlin garda station arrested the man at his address on Monday afternoon.

He is well known to gardai, and has previous convictions for assault causing harm and drugs related offences.

“Due to the vicious nature of the assault as well as the violent history of the suspect, the armed response unit were called in to assist gardai,” a source explained.

The ERU, a highly trained and equipped specialist intervention unit are based in Harcourt Street station and are part of the Special Detective Unit.

Sources described how the group "jumped on" the victim's head during the horrific assault, with one of the men jumping from a low-level wall onto the man's face.

"They broke practically every bone in his face, it was a very violent attack. They were jumping and dancing on his head at one stage," a source said.

"It was an unprovoked attack and, while no weapons were used, the injuries caused from punches and kicks were horrific."

The men fled in the direction of Windmill Road and gardai and emergency services were alerted.

An ambulance rushed the victim to St James Hospital, where he was placed in a medically-induced coma.

He suffered severe wounds to his face and it is feared that he may now require facial surgery, while his back was also badly injured.

A man in his mid-20s was arrested in relation to the incident yesterday afternoon and is being detained at Crumlin Garda Station. Detectives are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

The number of assaults in the area have almost doubled in the last number of years, with recent garda figures showing that 90 assaults were carried out in the Crumlin area last year.

This is a significant increase on the 65 assaults that were recorded the previous year, with 45 committed in the first six months of 2015.


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News