Crash mum wakes to news son and unborn child dead

Elber Twomey: has regained consciousness

Ralph Riegel

THE mother of a toddler and an unborn baby who were killed in a car crash has regained consciousness and learned of the scale of the tragedy.

Crash survivors Con (39) and Elber Twomey (36) were airlifted from a Devon hospital back to Cork University Hospital last week.

It is over a month since the horrific collision on a road near Torquay in England, where the Twomeys had been enjoying a summer holiday.

Both parents were in a critical condition for four weeks in Derriford Hospital outside Plymouth following the crash, which killed their 16-month-old son Oisin and unborn daughter.

Tragedy struck at 2.45pm on July 6 when a Vauxhall Vectra taxi cab driven by a Polish man veered directly into the path of the Volkswagen Golf carrying the Twomeys.

Emergency surgery failed to save the couple's unborn baby girl, named Elber Marie, who was due in December.

Mr Twomey is now in a serious but stable condition in the intensive care unit. His wife remains seriously ill with head and pelvic injuries but she has shown a marked improvement over the past three weeks.

One friend said last night: "The major concern now is with the potential psychological scars."

The Twomey family has declined to comment on Con and Elber's health or the likely funeral date for the children.

The family have thanked the public for their prayers and messages of support.

A Plymouth coroner last month granted a police request to retain the bodies of Oisin and the Polish man, who also died in the smash, for 28 days.

Taxi driver Marek Wojciechowski (20) died after being rushed to hospital.


A Mass of the Angels is planned for Oisin and Elber Marie in their native Meelin, Co Cork, when they are brought home.

Last night, the Devon coroner's office said that the Twomey family have decided to wait a little longer before Oisin's body is released for funeral.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission confirmed that Devon police were looking for the Pole that day as "a high-risk missing person".

Concern for his welfare had mounted after he apparently left a suicide note.