Youth who lured fast food delivery man to robbery is remanded in custody
A THEN 14-year-old, who admitted that he "set up" a delivery man by luring him into a robbery and then attacked him with a hurley stick, has been remanded in custody.
Today at the Dublin Children's Court, Judge Ann Ryan revoked the now 15-year-old boy's bail and remanded him to a juvenile detention centre for educational, substance abuse, psychological and psychiatric assessments of him to be carried out.
He will appear again next week but the assessments in custody are expected to take 28 days to be completed.
His case had been adjourned until today to allow him time to take part in an addiction treatment programme. However, the court heard that the boy, who had come to court with his mother, had not engaged with his probation officer.
The boy had been warned earlier that he needed to co-operate with a project which helps youths with alcohol or substance abuse.
He had pleaded guilty earlier at the Children's Court to robbery and assault causing harm to the man, in the Bluebell area, in Dublin 12, on June 3 last year.
Garda Robert Fitzharris had told Judge Ryan that the boy rang up a local fast-food takeaway delivery service.
The delivery man arrived at an address with a food order and was met by the boy. The teen demanded money and the food from him, and also called two friends to help in the robbery. The back window of the man's car was also smashed.
The victim handed over €10 but the boy “ demanded more”. The victim was struck with a hurley and then hit with it again when he refused to hand over the keys to his car.
The man was left with bruises on one of his legs and when met by Gda Fitzharris after the robbery he was “shaken and limping”.
The court has heard that while it was believed that two others were involved in the robbery, the boy took sole responsibility and claimed he had acted alone.
Gda Fitzharris had also said that it was the boy who had made the call which led to the delivery man coming to the area. He also agreed with Judge Ryan that the robbery was premeditated and that the victim had been “set up” by the teenage boy.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble has already asked the court to note that the boy was sorry and had written a letter of apology to be forwarded to the victim.
He had said earlier that the teen had taking part in a educational programme and had no prior criminal convictions. He had also informed the court that the teenager had been coping with a bereavement around the time of the attack.