Thursday 14 December 2017

Youth accused of causing 'life threatening injuries' sent for trial

Tom Tuite

A YOUTH has been sent forward for trial accused of assault causing serious harm to a Lithuanian man who was severely injured at the Millennium Bridge in Dublin city-centre.

Sergei Jakovlevas, with an address at Windmill Terrace, Clonsilla, Dublin, had made no reply when he was charged with assault causing harm to 21-year-old Andrej Fiflimonov on December 8 last.

Mr Fiflimonov suffered injuries to the lower left side of his body and had been hospitalised.

Mr Jakovlevas, originally from Lithuania, was aged 17, a juvenile, at the time of the alleged attack and when he made his first appearance at the Dublin Children's Court but has since turned 18, and is now an adult.

The charge previously brought was withdrawn and replaced with another for assault causing serious harm to Mr Fiflimonov.

The DPP directed that the youth's case should be sent forward to the Circuit Court which has wider sentencing powers. The teen's lawyer could not make pleas for the case to kept in the juvenile court because the youth had reached adulthood by the time the new charge was brought.

The teenager, who is on bail, was served with a book of evidence and Judge John O'Connor made an order sending him forward for trial.

The defence counsel said the youth faced a serious charge and a medical report “refers to life threatening injuries”.

Judge O'Connor granted legal aid and told the youth, who has surrendered his passport, that he cannot contact Mr Fiflimonov or witnesses and that he must not apply for new travel documents.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News