Sunday 19 November 2017

Young man (22) left victim with broken jaw after punching two men at popular nightclub

The Wright Venue in Swords, Co. Dublin
The Wright Venue in Swords, Co. Dublin

Declan Brennan

A man with no previous convictions has pleaded guilty to carrying out two nightclub assaults which left one victim with a broken jaw.

Dubliner Patrick Anderson (22) punched the two men in the face and head and continued to assault them after they left the Wright venue nightclub in Swords, Co Dublin.

Graham Dunne told gardai afterwards that Anderson “went crazy punching and kicking” him, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.

Anderson of Lanesborough Gardens, Finglas pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to cousins Graham and Paul Dunne at the Wright venue on February 15, 2015.

Garda Elaine Duffy told Maurice Coffey BL, prosecuting, that the two cousins were in the nightclub when Graham Dunne fell a strong force to his shoulder. He thought someone had bumped into him and turned to apologise, the court heard.

Anderson said something and then punched the victim in the mouth and then in the head. Anderson then turned to Paul Dunne and punched him multiple times in the head.

The fight was broken up by the nightclub security, who told gardai that “all three males were aggressive and had to be restrained by security and were ejected”, Gda Duffy said.

Once outside Anderson attacked the cousins again. He ran after Graham Dunne and kicked him to the ground. Anderson then “went crazy kicking him and punching him”, the court heard.

Anderson also continued to punch Paul Dunne after he had knocked him to the ground outside with a punch to the head. This victim was left with fractures to his jaw.

He told the court he found it difficult to understand how the attack happened.

His cousin suffered a broken knee cap from his fall during the attack. He has continuing difficulties with his leg and requires further treatment.

Gda Duffy agreed with Ray Boland BL, defending, that all three men had taken drink on the night. She also agreed that security staff had told gardai that Graham Dunne was “highly aggressive” towards Anderson.

Mr Boland said his client has no previous convictions and had never come to garda attention before this incident. An offer of compensation made by Anderson was refused by the victims, he said.

Judge Melanie Greally adjourned the case to March when she will hear a plea of mitigation on behalf of Anderson.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News