Tuesday 22 October 2019

Young boys made sick by 'toxic' mould, court is told

A couple's two young sons were made sick by “toxic” mould and fungus in a newly built house, the High Court has heard. (Stock photo)
A couple's two young sons were made sick by “toxic” mould and fungus in a newly built house, the High Court has heard. (Stock photo)

Tim Healy

A couple's two young sons were made sick by "toxic" mould and fungus in a newly built house, the High Court has heard.

Shane and Antoinette O'Reilly bought and moved into a three-bedroom duplex at Hillrace Crescent, Saggart, Co Dublin, in 2005 for approximately €280,000.

But they and their family have been unable to live there for the past six years because of the mould, the court was told.

They claim the property had many defects which were not rectified, caused by poor ventilation in the attic and bedrooms.

They claimed this resulted in their sons, now aged nine and seven, developing respiratory infections.

After many visits to the GP and the emergency department in Tallaght Hospital, the O'Reillys, who got test results in June 2010 that showed one of their children had a mass on one of his lungs, were given medical advice to leave the property. They did so in August 2010.

They have sued Seamus, Liam, Colm, Anthony and Brendan Neville and William Neville and Sons, a building and development company trading as the Neville Development Partnership.

The O'Reillys seek damages alleging negligence and breach of duty. The couple also seek a declaration they are entitled to have the purchase contract rescinded and the €280,000 repaid to them.

Ms O'Reilly brought High Court proceedings based on expert advice.

The case continues.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News