Saturday 17 August 2019

Woman settles case over fall at RTE during Operation Transformation show

Georgina Brosnan leaving court today
Georgina Brosnan leaving court today

Tim Healy

A WOMAN who injured herself when she fell in an RTE studio as she was about to do a weigh-in as part of the "Operation Transformation" dieting programme has settled her High Court action for damages.

Georgina Brosnan (43), a married mother of five from Rathass, Tralee, Co Kerry, suffered injuries which caused her to give up her business, the court heard.

Ms Brosnan (43) sued RTE and the Belfast-based company Green Inc Film and Television Ltd, producers of the "Afternoon Show" which she was on her way into when the accident occurred on February 27, 2009.

She claimed damages for arm and back injuries, along with depression and anxiety, as well as loss of earnings, as a result of the defendants' negligence in failing to maintain a ramp covering electrical cables which she tripped over in the Montrose studio.

The case began on Tuesday and was before the court for assessment of damages only.

Today, counsel for Ms Brosnan said the matter had been settled.

No details were revealed but as part of her claim, the court had heard she had been seeking €49,000 loss of earnings and €63,500 in special damages.

The court heard she and other Operation Transformation participants were guests due to take part in an Afternoon Show weigh-in and they were walking in from the green room when her foot got caught on the open lip of the ramp.

Ms Brosnan, who said she lost 25lb during the seven-week weight loss programme, fractured her left elbow as well as injuring her lower back.

As well as being restricted in the amount of domestic duties she could perform, she was unable to continue her five-year-old arts and crafts business, which involved supplying materials to schools and carrying boxes around for that purpose.  She also had to give up art classes that she gave.

She said she was unable to maintain the fitness regime of Operation Transformation, under which her weight went down to 13 stone but which rose again to 14.5 stone following the accident and she is now back to

14 stone.

She had tried to get her business going again but because of the pain in her back and elbow was unable to do so.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News