Tuesday 23 January 2018

Woman 'paralysed' with fear as she was allegedly raped in dark alleyway near nightclub - court hears

Stock image
Stock image

Conor Gallagher

A woman has told a court of how she was "paralysed" with fear as she was allegedly raped in a dark alleyway by a man she met in a nightclub, a court heard.

The first day of the trial of a Donegal man accused of raping the then 18 years also heard that he allegedly inflicted injuries which required her to go to hospital with severe bleeding.

The accused has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape in the alleyway of a Donegal town in July 2012.

The now 22 year old woman told the trial that the medical examination she underwent in a sexual assault treatment unit was “awful” and “nearly worse than the thing itself.”

“It was so intrusive, it made me feel disgusting and dirty,” she told prosecuting counsel Pauline Walley SC.

The woman said she went to a night club with several friends where she ran into the accused. She knew him and had kissed him four or five times before but never had sexual intercourse with him she said.

She wanted to go outside to make a phone call and the accused offered to go with her. Once outside he said he wanted to use an ATM and led her up a back alley which had no street lights she said.

She said at this point the man “put me against a wall” and started kissing her, “which was fine”. She said he then started digitally penetrating. When he tried to make her touch him she responded “no, not here, there's no way this is happening here.”

She said he then had sex with her against her will while holding her arms at her sides. She said she tried to make herself as rigid as possible but he was too strong for her. This lasted less than a minute and afterwards she noticed she was bleeding.

“The pain was unbelievable, it was so bad,” she said. “I couldn't scream, I was paralysed.”

“I was in shock, I was in so much pain. I knew I could scream all I wanted and nobody would hear me.”

Asked if she consented to intercourse she replied, “I said right from the start that this wasn't happening here. He knew fine rightly that I didn't want that to happen.”

She said she met up with friends nearby and told them she had been raped. They took her to the hospital and gardaí were alerted.

She said she felt “terrified” later that day and regretted going to the hospital because “it all became so formal then.”

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of seven men and five women.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News