Friday 23 February 2018

Woman left brain damaged after car accident in her teenage years secures €6.5m settlement

Stock picture
Stock picture

Tim Healy

A 26-year-old woman who suffered brain damage as a teenager in a road accident has settled her High Court action for a total of €6.5million.

The woman cannot be named as she is a ward of court.

She was a passenger in a car which collided with another vehicle in the Midlands in 2008. She had to be cut out of the wreckage.

The President of the High Court, Mr Justice Peter Kelly, approved a final settlement of €5million in the case. An interim settlement of €1.5m had been made in 2012.

Through her father, the woman sued the drivers of the two vehicles in relation to the accident.

It was claimed there was an alleged failure to steer, stop, swerve or in any other manner to manage the motor vehicle so as to avoid the collision and an alleged failure to have any regard for her safety.

It was further claimed there was an alleged failure to maintain any or any adequate or proper lookout  and that there was driving at an alleged excessive speed.

The claims were denied.  

Her counsel, Finbarr Fox, said his client was only a teenager at the time of the accident.

As well as brain damage, she suffered other injuries including the loss of vision in her left eye and impaired vision in her right eye.

Counsel said she had very serious injuries and now needs full time care. She preferred to be at home and her father gave up his job to look after her.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News