Tuesday 23 January 2018

Woman charged with violent mugging of female civil servant transferred to Central Mental Hospital

Gardaí at the scene of the attack in Drumcondra, Dublin. Photo: Arthur Carron
Gardaí at the scene of the attack in Drumcondra, Dublin. Photo: Arthur Carron

Andrew Phelan

A HOMELESS woman accused of violently robbing a female civil servant who was stabbed in the neck has been transferred to the Central Mental Hospital, a court heard.

Laura Kenna (33) was remanded in custody for in her absence for another two weeks at Dublin District Court.

She was charged last week in connection with the assault and mugging of a 35-year-old woman who was walking home from work in Drumcondra.

The victim was treated in hospital after she was attacked and seriously injured as she walked near the Archbishop’s home.

Ms Kenna, of no fixed address, is charged with robbery and assault causing harm to the woman at Drumcondra Road Lower on January 3. She is alleged to have robbed the woman of her handbag and mobile phone.

This morning, Ms Kenna’s solicitor said the accused was not present in court and had been moved to the Central Mental Hospital.

Judge Anthony Halpin remanded the defendant in custody to appear in the same court on a date later this month.

At last week’s brief hearing, Detective Sergeant Ken Hoare said he arrested the accused for the purpose of caution at Mountjoy Garda Station.

She made no reply to the charges after caution and was handed copies of the charge sheets.

Gardai were objecting to bail but there was no defence application for bail.

Judge Halpin granted free legal aid after there was no garda objection.

The DPP's directions have not yet been made available.

The charges against the defendant are under the Theft and Fraud and Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

Ms Kenna has not yet indicated how she intends to plead to the charges.

According to gardai, the incident happened on Drumcondra Road Lower between Clonliffe Road and the Archbishop's House shortly after 5pm on Tuesday.

Gardai and staff from the Archbishop's House helped the victim who was reportedly staggering and appeared to have lost a lot of blood.

She was taken for treatment to the Mater Hospital.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News