Tuesday 12 December 2017

Woman awarded €90,000 over surgical wire in body

Tim Healy

A WOMAN has been awarded €90,000 in High Court damages after a surgical wire was left in her body during an operation.

Maureen Macken (62), of Oranhill, Oranmore, Co Galway, had the metallic guide-wire erroneously left inside her body after surgery for breast cancer.

It was two years before she was even told what had happened. Eight years on, the former nurse said she was warned she might die if medics attempted to remove the guide-wire.

The wire was part of a small medical device called a portacath, which was put under Ms Macken's skin during the administration of chemotherapy at the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin in November, 2000.

She sued the Mater and consultant vascular surgeon Thomas Corrigan for negligence. Liability was conceded.

It is claimed that she suffered post-traumatic stress disorder and is on medication for life. The court heard that Ms Macken had suffered an acute anxiety reaction and remained in that state for a considerable period.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News