'We have not had justice,' says Savita's father as he demands an official apology
The father of Savita Halappanavar has called for an official apology from the Irish government, saying there has been "no justice" for them.
Andanappa Yalagi said the settling of a civil court case against the HSE "changed nothing" for his family.
Speaking from his home in Belgaum, India, he told the Irish Independent that without an official apology the family could not move on.
"We want an apology. It is the fault of the Irish government. I lost my daughter and it is their fault. Nothing has changed for us. We remember her every day. There has not been justice for us. The Irish government is not taking any consideration of her parents," he said.
Savita's widower Praveen had sought an official apology from the HSE along with his civil suit against the health body following the tragic death of his wife.
However, sources confirmed that while the HSE agreed to a "significant" settlement and admitted that her death was wrongful, the apology did not form part of the agreement.
Yesterday at the High Court, Mr Justice Kevin Cross was informed the case had been settled. While the settlement is confidential it is believed to include a substantial payment to Mr Halappanavar.
Issuing strike-out orders yesterday, the judge also made orders for the equal distribution of an additional sum of €35,000, payable under the terms of the Civil Liability Act, between Mr Halappanavar, Savita's parents Akkamahadevi and Andanappa Yalagi and brothers Sanjeev and Santosh.
However, Mr Yalagi said he was disappointed that an official apology had not been made.
"It should have gone to court. I lost my daughter without any apology or any justice," he said.
"The Irish government should still make an official apology.
"I lost my daughter, I want justice for that. My wife remembers every day about Savita. Every day we are remembering.
"We have been kept in the dark about what is going on in Ireland. We still do not have answers. This changes nothing for us," he added.
The heartbroken father said he remained in contact with Savita's husband Praveen, who is currently residing in the US as part of a work contract with employers Boston Scientific.
"[Praveen] has been to India last month and came to meet me and he has phoned me inquiring about my health," he said.
Savita Halappanavar (31) was 17 weeks pregnant and miscarrying when she was admitted to University Hospital Galway on October 21, 2012. She died seven days later on October 28 as a result of septicaemia caused by ecoli ESBL.
Three separate investigations were carried out into Ms Halappanavar's death, making a total of 33 recommendations.
Papers lodged for the civil suit had claimed Ms Halappanavar's constitutional right to life was breached and included over 30 incidences of alleged negligence in the case.
Mr Halappanavar alleged the HSE "placed far too great an emphasis on the existence of the foetal heart beat" while his wife was under its care, ignoring her own rights.