Video: Protesters come together in song as they abandon Moore St occupation
Protesters who occupied the 1916 site on Dublin’s Moore Street left it today after assurances were given that no buildings would be demolished pending a court hearing on the matter.
A number of people have occupied 14-17 Moore Street since last Thursday over concerns that the terrace is not being adequately protected from demolition and redevelopment.
Some of the buildings – including the location of the last council of war held by the 1916 rebellion leaders – are being converted into a new commemorative centre.
But concerns emerged last week that some demolition of buildings with historical significance was about to take place.
The High Court heard yesterday that no buildings on Moore Street will be demolished pending a hearing on February 2 in relation to the matter.
On the basis of this the protesters today abandoned their occupation at noon.
Damien Farrell of the Moore Street 2016 group said they believe the State will act in good faith.
“If the court case doesn’t go well or if anything happens in between we’ll be coming back here, going in, and stopping any further damage,” he said.
After emerging the group sang renditions of Garryowen and The Auld Triangle.
Former Lord Mayor Christy Burke said that while the buildings would no longer be occupied, the protesters will keep a very close watch on them to ensure they are safe.
“They look upon themselves as guardians of the 1916 Rising and were there to protect history, not watch it being destroyed,” he said.
“The rebels of 1916 occupied buildings on O’Connell Street and Moore Street for five days, and today is the fifth day of the current occupation.
“They are very upbeat about what they have achieved but will obviously monitor the situation and the buildings until the hearing.”
Colm Moore, a nominee of the 1916 Relatives Association, has, in his proceedings, raised issues including whether some buildings earmarked for demolition, including No 18, are national monuments.
Mr Moore, of Sandyford Road in Dundrum, brought judicial review proceedings against the Arts Minister in which he contends several of the buildings are national monuments. But Minister Heather Humphreys has said the properties outside of the terrace at numbers 14 to 17 are of no historical significance.
The Government last week said the occupation of 14-17 Moore Street will cost €30,000 for each day restoration work is delayed. Some of the relatives of the 1916 Rebellion, including James Connolly Heron and Eamon and David Ceannt were in court when the case was mentioned yesterday.