Friday 15 November 2019

Verdict of medical misadventure in death of Aibha (6)

Aibha Conroy died in 2011
Aibha Conroy died in 2011
Aibha Conroy's mother Kathleen, pictured with dad John and sister Sorcha, shed tears yesterday as a verdict of medical misadventure was returned by the coroner

Louise Roseingrave

A coroner has returned a verdict of medical misadventure in the case of a six-year-old girl who died four days after she was admitted to hospital suffering from hypoglycaemia.

Aibha Conroy, from Gowla, Connemara, Co Galway, died at Temple Street Children's Hospital in Dublin on December 14, 2011.

Following the verdict yesterday, a statement was released on behalf of her family in which they said they felt "vindicated in their campaign for answers regarding Aibha's care and treatment during her short life".

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said the verdict of medical misadventure took into account risk factors that arose in evidence during the inquest.

He identified the lack of critical blood samples to determine whether Aibha had an underlying metabolic or endocrinal issue as a risk factor, and noted that the results of a cortisol test shortly before she died could not be relied upon.

"It is clear, in my interpretation of evidence, there were a number of potential risk factors bearing on what happened. Those factors would constitute a potential or actual risk that would have a bearing on the verdict," Dr Farrell said. The verdict contained "no connotation of blame or exoneration", he added.

Aibha's mother, Kathleen Conroy, shed tears as the long-running inquest drew to a conclusion.

Four days before her death, Aibha had been admitted to Galway University Hospital (GUH) suffering from hypoglycaemia, or low blood sugar, and weakness. She was also vomiting.

She initially responded to treatment when first admitted to GUH on December 11, but within 90 minutes she suffered a respiratory arrest and had to be resuscitated.

She was subsequently transferred to the intensive care unit at GUH and then to Temple Street where she died four days later.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News