Friday 27 April 2018

Uninsured driver sped through Dublin city at 100kmh

Andrew Phelan

AN UNINSURED driver who led gardai on a high-speed chase for more than two miles through south Dublin has been jailed for three months and put off the road for six years.

Keith Johnson (21) sped at 100kmh through heavy traffic and past pedestrians while gardai pursued him, finally crashing on a motorway flyover and then trying to escape on foot.

He admitted six counts of dangerous driving at Dublin District Court.

Judge Hugh O'Donnell fined him €1,250 as well as imposing the prison sentence and driving ban. A further sentence of two months was suspended.

As well as six dangerous driving charges, Johnson, with an address at Cherryorchard Avenue, Ballyfermot, had pleaded guilty to failing to stop for a garda as well as driving without insurance or a licence last September 10.

At an earlier hearing, Gda Peter Dunne told the court he was on patrol at Walkinstown Avenue, Crumlin, at 11.45am when he received a call about a car that had failed to stop for gardai. The accused's Volkswagen Passat passed him at high speed on the wrong side of the road and he followed.

Johnson went through the junction with Longmile Road against a red light and still on the wrong side of the road.

The Passat crossed over a continuous white line at the Naas Road, overtaking a vehicle and jumping another red light.

At the junction of Kylemore Road, a lorry had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. Johnson turned on to the Old Naas Road, which was narrow, with cars parked on both sides.

He turned right into JFK industrial estate, where he overtook another vehicle on the wrong side of the road.

The car momentarily lost control and hit the footpath.

Struggling to maintain control, Johnson drove on to the flyover at Killeen Road. He eventually lost control and crashed into a barrier, his car spinning 180 degrees to face the officer.

Gda Dunne blocked the Passat with the patrol vehicle and Johnson and two passengers got out and fled.

The accused was arrested after a short chase.

The court heard Johnson had 21 previous convictions, but none for motoring offences. He had been under suspended sentences of four and three months at the time.

Judge O'Donnell said that someone could have died.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News