'Unauthorised hostel' had 17 people in one room and 36 in basement, court told
Dozens of South Americans and eastern Europeans are unlawfully being rented "living space" in a single Co Dublin house in dangerous, unhealthy and cramped conditions, a court heard yesterday.
Barrister Liam O'Connell told Judge Jacqueline Linnane that on Friday he would be asking her to order owner Richard Stanley to immediately end the use of his property at The Pines, Lehaunstown, Cabinteely, "as what can only be described as an unauthorised hostel".
Mr O'Connell, who appeared in the Circuit Civil Court with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council's law agent Dorothy Kennedy, said the overcrowded private dwelling was considered a fire and health risk.
"It has come to the council's notice that the three-storey dwelling is being used as other than a private dwelling with up to 17 individuals in one room and about 36 people housed in the basement," he told the court.
Mr O'Connell told Judge Linnane the county council had become aware of reports that up to 70 people were being accommodated in the house and for health and safety reasons had carried out an inspection - which found that almost every room they could obtain access to had been filled with either double beds or bunk beds.
Mr O'Connell said the council had sought undertakings from Mr Stanley to terminate multi-occupancy forthwith and to arrange for and provide suitable accommodation for those people living there.
Judge Linnane said that out of consideration for the plight of the people currently in the property she would not grant immediate restraints or injunctions but would deal with the matter on Friday on notice to Mr Stanley.
Independent.ie previously reported on this property and the matter is yet to be determined on by the court.