Monday 21 October 2019

Two teenagers deny murder of schoolgirl Ana (14)

Eimear Cotter

Eimear Cotter

Two teenage boys have pleaded not guilty to the murder of schoolgirl Anastasia Kriégel.

The boys, who were 13 years old at the time, are alleged to have killed the 14-year-old, who was known as Ana, in Co Dublin in May last year. The trial is expected to begin this morning.

The teenagers, who are now 14, both said they were "not guilty" when the charge was put to them before the Central Criminal Court yesterday.

One of the boys also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

A parent sat in the dock with each youth when the charges were read out to them.

The two accused cannot be identified because they are minors.

The two boys are charged with the murder of 14-year-old Ana at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan, on May 14 last year.

Her naked body was found at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing.

Yesterday afternoon, before Mr Justice Paul McDermott, a jury of eight men and four women was sworn in to hear the trial.

When the jury was being selected, Judge McDermott asked the potential jurors to bear in mind the offences before the court were "very serious", and that the evidence may be "very upsetting".

Judge McDermott further told potential jurors the teenagers were entitled as children to anonymity, both now and in the future, and it was an offence for them to disclose the teenagers' identities or any other identifying details.

The trial is expected to hear from more than 130 witnesses and last around six weeks.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News