Sunday 20 October 2019

Two men stopped in car which carried 150kg of explosives, court is told

Stock photo
Stock photo

Alison O'Riordan

Two men were stopped by gardaí in a car which was found to contain 150kg of explosives, the Special Criminal Court heard.

John Brock (46), of Cushlawn Park, Tallaght, Dublin 24, and John Roche (55), of Bridgefoot Street, Dublin 8, are both charged with possession of 57kg of homemade explosives, consisting of ammonium nitrate fuel mix, and 38 2.5kg rolls of Kemegel industrial explosives at Naas Road, Dublin 12, on April 13, 2016.

Arraigned on the charges before the non-jury court, Mr Brock and Mr Roche remained seated and pleaded not guilty to the counts.

Opening the prosecution case, Anne-Marie Lawlor SC said the court would hear evidence regarding the two men's movements on April 13.

Ms Lawlor said members of the National Surveillance Unit (NSU) would give evidence of observing the accused men.

There would be evidence that Mr Roche was seen driving a black Skoda Fabia car and Mr Brock was a passenger.

Ms Lawlor said the evidence would be that the Skoda car was stopped by gardaí at 7.24pm and both men were arrested. The vehicle was searched.

Detective Superintendent Willie Johnson, the officer in charge of the NSU, said if members of his unit were identified, it would be detrimental for future operations and could jeopardise them.

The judges said the public would be excluded from the court when members of the NSU give evidence and members should be identified only by their previously assigned initials.

The trial resumes today in front of Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, with Judge Patricia Ryan and Judge Ann Ryan.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News