Tuesday 21 November 2017

Two friends beaten to death in 'savage, overwhelming' attack before attempts were made to clean up murder scene

Caron Smyth (40) was killed in the brutal attack
Caron Smyth (40) was killed in the brutal attack
Two friends were beaten to death

Ashleigh McDonald

Two friends who were beaten to death in a flat were subjected to a 'savage' and 'overwhelming' attack before attempts were made to clean up the murder scene, a jury was told today.

Victims Caron Smyth (40) and Finbar McGrillen (42) were found in the living room of Mr MGrillen's flat in the Ravenhill Court area of Belfast city on Friday December 13, 2013.

The pair - who were described in court as 'two innocent people' - sustained multiple injuries including fractured ribs, as well as scores of internal and external wounds to the head, neck and chest which were consistent with being punched, kicked and stamped on.

Two men, one of whom was in a relationship with Ms Smyth which ended days prior to the double murder, were charged with killing the friends.

Despite initially denying the charges, 34-year old Shaun Patrick Joseph Hegarty asked to be re-arraigned at Belfast Crown Court yesterday, where he admitted murdering both his ex-partner Ms Smyth and Mr McGrillen.

Hegarty, formerly of Grainne House in the New Lodge area of Belfast, was handed a life sentence by Mr Justice Weir and was told he will be informed of the minimum term he has to serve before he is eligible to be considered for release at the end of his co-accused's trial.

Caron Smyth (40) was killed in the brutal attack
Caron Smyth (40) was killed in the brutal attack

Ciaran Nugent (32), who the Crown say was with his friend Hegarty when Ms Smyth and Mr McGrillen were killed and was part of a joint enterprise, has denied both charges and is currently standing trial at Belfast Crown Court.

Nugent, formerly of the Simon Community on the Falls Road, admitted walking from Grainne House to Ravenhill Court with Hegarty in the early hours of December 12, 2013 - but denied he was involved in the double murder.

He also told police it was a 'barbaric attack', but said he was not prepared to tout on his friend as for him that would be a 'death sentence'.

Belfast Telegraph

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News