Tuesday 12 December 2017

Two bailed following €650K heroin seizure

Tom Tuite

TWO men have been granted bail after they were charged in connection with a €650,000 heroin seizure in Dublin.

On Wednesday, gardai arrested three men at Crumlin Road, Dublin, and seized a supply of heroin. In a follow-up search at an apartment in West Part, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin, more heroin was discovered with the total amount of drugs seized estimated at being worth €650,000.

One of the three men was released without charge pending a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions but the other two were brought before Dublin District Court today to face charges.

Keith O'Brien, aged 36, from Rutland Avenue in Crumlin, but who has a current address at The Crescent, West Park, in Rathcoole made no reply when he was charged, Judge Victor Blake heard.

He is accused of possessing heroin for sale or supply at West Part, Rathcoole and at Crumlin Road.

Garda Patrick McAvinue told Judge Blake that Mr O'Brien made no reply when he was charged.

He objected to bail saying he feared that the 36-year-old “may be a flight risk due to the seriousness of the charges”.

However, after defence counsel Edel Gilligan handed over the man's passport the garda agreed to bail subject to several conditions being imposed and he asked for a 10-week adjournment to allow time to obtain directions from the DPP.

Mr O'Brien, who has not yet entered a plea, was ordered to continue residing at his current address and to seek garda approval if he intends to change residence. He was also ordered to obey a 10pm to 8am curfew at his home, but that condition was relaxed for today (SAT) when he is to attend his child's christening.

Mr O'Brien, who was given bail in his own bond of €500, was also ordered to sign on daily at his local garda station and not to apply for a duplicate passport or other travel documents.

Co-accused 30-year-old John Paul Gantley from Dolphin House, Dublin 8, replied “no” when he was charged with possessing heroin for sale or supply at Crumlin Road, in south Dublin.

Arresting Garda Eoin Carroll did not object to bail and Mr Gantley was ordered to sign on three times a week at a garda station, not to have any contact “with anyone involved in the case, directly or indirectly”. He was released in his own bond of €300 was also told that his passport would have to be surrendered by 5.30 PM yesterday (FRI).

Both men were granted legal aid and were ordered to appear again on December 13 next.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News