Wednesday 17 January 2018

Twin sisters awarded €10k after developing respiratory problems from shower drain

Twin sisters, who developed respiratory problems from fumes expelled over a three year period from a shower drain in their home, were awarded €10,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke heard that 11-year-olds Abby (correct) and Chloe Croke developed respsiratory difficulties following renovations to the bathroom in their house at St Anne’s Avenue, Raheny, Dublin.

Judge Groarke was told it had taken three years to discover that their injuries were caused by fumes from the shower drain. 

The court heard all members of the household had been affected, and Chloe had developed asthma. Remedial works had since been carried out and the health of the family had improved.

Through their mother Ita Croke, Abby and Chloe sued Alpha Engineering Heat Providers Ltd, of Unit 35, Finglas Business Centre, Jamestown Road, Finglas, Dublin.

Judge Groarke was told a settlement offer of €5,000, comprising of €3,000 damages and €2,000 costs, had been made for each girl, without admission of liability. He approved the offer

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News