TV3 will not broadcast any more episodes of its 'Cocaine Wars' series until a case against a man who claims the programme breaches his right to a fair trial is dealt with, the High Court was told yesterday, writes Tim Healy.
Brian Rattigan (29) of Cooley Road, Drimnagh, Dublin, is facing a trial next October on charges involving the supply of €1m worth of heroin and with having two mobile phones in his prison cell.
Earlier this week, he got permission to notify the station of an injunction application in which he sought to prevent the broadcasting of last Tuesday's episode.
When the case came before High Court president Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns on Tuesday, he was told the station had agreed not to broadcast the programme pending the hearing of the injunction application. The matter was adjourned until yesterday for hearing.
Following talks yesterday, Brendan Grehan SC, for Mr Rattigan, said the case could be struck out on the basis of a number of undertakings from TV3.
They were that the station would not broadcast the two remaining programmes in the series, not re-broadcast the previous two, or put up any material on its website, until the charges against Mr Rattigan are disposed of.
Mr Rattigan's solicitors have also agreed to return copies of the two remaining episodes to TV3 which will, in turn, return the book of evidence in the Rattigan case, which his lawyers had provided as part of the injunction application.