Tuesday 12 December 2017

Tribunal drops findings against Ray Burke

The name of former Fianna Fáil minister Ray Burke has effectively been cleared of planning corruption, after the Planning Tribunal dropped findings against him
The name of former Fianna Fáil minister Ray Burke has effectively been cleared of planning corruption, after the Planning Tribunal dropped findings against him
Nicola Anderson

Nicola Anderson

The name of former Fianna Fáil minister Ray Burke has effectively been cleared of planning corruption, after the Planning Tribunal dropped findings against him.

Last January, Tribunal chairman Judge Alan Mahon said adverse findings against Mr Burke and businessmen Oliver Barry, Thomas Brennan, Joseph McGowan, James Stafford, John Mulhern and Jack Foley would not be withdrawn.

However, his declaration has now been quietly edited out of the statement on the Tribunal's website.

The statement explains the background to the clearing of Mr Burke's name, saying: "Following the case of Murphy v Flood (2010), the Supreme Court had quashed the non-cooperation findings of hindrance and obstruction made by Mr Justice Flood in his second Interim Report against the Murphy interests and quashed the subsequent 2004 costs refusing them their costs."

It said the Tribunal "has now applied the benefit of that decision to a number of parties" - including Mr Burke and former Dublin manager George Redmond.

And it said those individuals, including Mr Burke, were "now deemed entitled to costs" which had previously been refused.

At his home in Dublin yesterday, Mr Burke politely declined to comment on the latest development.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News