Friday 23 August 2019

Trial of Jim Mansfield Jr on ammunition charge delayed again

Jim Mansfield Jr. Photo: Collins
Jim Mansfield Jr. Photo: Collins
Andrew Phelan

Andrew Phelan

The trial of a son of late billionaire hotel boss Jim Mansfield on an ammunition charge has been delayed again.

Jim Mansfield Jr (49) was due to be tried at Dublin District Court today but his defence said it had brought up “certain matters” with the prosecution that would need to be responded to before the case can proceed.

The trial had already been adjourned on a planned hearing date earlier this year but was put back to today.

Judge Kathryn Hutton said the court did have a “difficulty” with the latest request but agreed to grant the further adjournment.

The accused is a son of Jim Mansfield Snr, who died in January 2014.

Mr Mansfield Snr was the businessman behind the Citywest Hotel, Weston Airport and a number of other high-profile ventures. Several of these other businesses collapsed in the recession.

Jim Mansfield Jr is charged with having 180 rounds of .22 Walther ammunition without a firearms licence at his home at Tassaggart House in Saggart, south west Dublin. He has pleaded not guilty.

The hearing before a judge sitting alone in the district court is expected to take a day and a half and will include CCTV evidence.

Today Defence barrister Tony McGillicuddy said he had conveyed “certain matters” to the prosecution last Friday and in the circumstances he was asking for the case not to go ahead today.

He had conveyed it to the prosecution that he would be making this application.

It was appropriate that “correspondence will issue between the parties,” he said, and the prosecution would need to consider that correspondence.

It would not be appropriate for the case to go on today, he said.

A barrister for the DPP said a new hearing date could be fixed for March, with a mention date in January to see what progress can be made in that period.

Judge Hutton said there was a district court practice directive that three weeks’ notice should be given to vacate a hearing date.

The barrister for the State said Mr Mansfield’s lawyers had put the prosecution on notice on Friday. “Certain matters arose” and he had no difficulty with the application, he said.

Judge Hutton said the court had a difficulty with it, as there had been a day and a half set aside for the hearing.

Mr McGillicuddy said he was aware of the practice directive.

The defence had not been in a position to “outline these matters to the prosecution in advance of last Friday,” he said.

There were certain enquiries that had to be made, he added.

Judge Hutton agreed to fix new hearing dates for March 20 and 21, with a mention date on January 15.

Mr Mansfield, wearing a long black coat over a dark suit, did not address the court during the brief hearing.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News