Monday 18 November 2019

Tragic Millie's mother was 'howling' in A&E, court told

Millie died two weeks before Christmas 2009 from severe trauma to the head.
Millie died two weeks before Christmas 2009 from severe trauma to the head.
Millie’s mum Rachel Martin leaving Dungannon Court.
Barry McCarney is charged with the baby’s murder.

Deborah McAleese

A MOTHER accused of allowing her boyfriend kill her baby daughter was "howling and crying" while medics battled to save the child's life, a court has been told.

Rachael Martin (27), from Main Street, Kesh, Co Fermanagh, is charged with allowing cruelty and the death of her daughter.

She appeared in court alongside her ex-boyfriend Barry McCarney (33), from Bridge Street, Trillick, Co Fermanagh, who is accused of abusing, sexually assaulting and murdering the child.

An eye-witness described to the jury at Dungannon Crown Court the moment Ms Martin arrived at the accident and emergency unit at Erne hospital in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, to see her 15-month-old daughter Millie.

The court heard that the child was already brain dead when she was rushed to the hospital 20 minutes earlier by Mr McCarney.

Millie died two weeks before Christmas 2009 from severe head trauma.

The injury was allegedly inflicted by Mr McCarney, who was living with the child and her mother at Glebe Park in Enniskillen at the time.

As doctors and nurses battled to save her life they also discovered she had several fractured ribs a few weeks old, multiple bruises around her head, chest and face as well as bruises and swelling that suggested sexual assault.


She also had a burn on her finger. A member of hospital staff told the court that Ms Martin had told her Millie had injured her finger on a fire guard. However, a nurse claimed that she told her the child had burnt her finger on a candle.

It is the prosecution's case that Mr McCarney abused the baby for several months, ever since he entered into a relationship with Ms Martin.

Ms Martin is accused of knowing about the abuse but failing to do anything to prevent it, or her daughter's death.

A receptionist at the A&E unit told the jury during the second day of trial yesterday how Ms Martin had entered the hospital in a very distressed state shortly before 9pm on December 10, 2009.

Staff were so concerned about Millie's injuries that they immediately decided to contact police and social services.

Consultant pediatrician Dr Rheem Mabrouk said that she took Ms Martin aside and explained to her that police and social services were to be contacted. She said that Ms Martin did not object.

Mr McCarney told medics that he had checked on Millie while Ms Martin was at a shop 400 yards from their home and heard her gasp for breath before she stopped breathing.

Millie was believed to be brain dead upon arrival at the hospital, but doctors and nurses battled for several hours to try and save her.

After medics stabilised the baby as best they could, in the early hours of the following morning Dr Cody accompanied Millie in an ambulance to the Royal Victoria Hospital For Sick Children in Belfast where she was later pronounced dead.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News