Sunday 22 April 2018

Tragic Marioara (18) was found in foetal-like position in shallow grave in Dublin mountains, court hears

Former deputy state pathologist Dr Khalid Jabbar tells court girl died of gunshot wounds

The body of Marioara Rostas (inset) being removed from the Dublin Mountains in 2012
The body of Marioara Rostas (inset) being removed from the Dublin Mountains in 2012

Eimear Cotter

A teenager who was found buried in a shallow grave in the Dublin mountains died from gunshot wounds to the head, a former deputy state pathologist has said.

Dr Khalid Jabbar was giving evidence before the Central Criminal Court at the trial of Alan Wilson (35), who is accused of the murder of Romanian teenager Marioara Rostas (18).

The accused, of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Ms Rostas at Brabazon Street, The Coombe, between January 7 and 8, 2008. Her body was found in the Kippure-Sally Gap area on the Dublin/Wicklow border on January 23, 2012.

This afternoon, Dr Jabbar told the Central Criminal Court that he was taken to a woodland area in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains on January 23, 2012.

There he found a shallow grave of about two feet, with a body lying in it in a foetal-like position, and leaning towards the right-hand side.

Dr Jabbar said the body was founded in dark grey plastic wrapping, which was secured by duct tape.

The jury heard the body was taken to Tallaght Hospital where Dr Jabbar conducted a post-mortem.

He said Marioara's body was covered by a bedsheet and eight grey plastic bags. A pillow case was over her head.

She was wearing a bra, but had no jewellery, rings or watch.

Dr Jabbar said he conducted an examination and found evidence of physical violence. There were four gunshot wounds to the head.

He also said that multiple metal fragments were recovered during the post-mortem, and these were passed to the ballistics officer.

The trial of Mr Wilson began yesterday before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of 10 men and two women.

Yesterday, prosecutor Sean Gillane SC said Marioara arrived in Ireland in December 2007 and began begging with her parents and younger brother.

They were begging around the Lombard Street/Pearse Street junction on January 6, 2008, when her brother saw her talking to a man in a Ford Mondeo. It was indicated that she was going to McDonald's with the man for food. The man gave €10 to the brother, who noted a partial car registration.

Her family "never saw her alive again", Mr Gillane said.

The jury was told the prosecution will maintain Marioara was last seen alive getting into Mr Wilson's car in Dublin.

But the defence has said it is not admitted that Mr Wilson, who denies murder, was driving the car at the time of her death.

The trial continues.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News