Monday 27 January 2020

Three men arrested over St Patrick's Day stabbing

Second knife attack in 24 hours leaves one man dead and another critical

Stabbed: Mark Richardson Photo: Collins
Stabbed: Mark Richardson Photo: Collins

Jim Cusack

Gardai reported a "generally quiet" St Patrick's night, although three young men were under arrest and being questioned yesterday about a stabbing in Longford town.

It was the second stabbing in 24 hours. Yesterday morning, a man in his 40s appeared at Dublin District Court charged in connection with the fatal stabbing of father-of-three Mark Richardson (46) who died from injuries in an altercation at a house in the Harmonstown area on Thursday evening.

The Longford stabbing was reported to have taken place following a dispute in New Street at around 8.30pm on Friday.

The male victim was taken to hospital initially in a critical condition but yesterday he was reported as being stable in the Midlands Regional Hospital.

Gardai arrested three men and are expected to prepare a file for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Gardai said yesterday that it was a generally quiet St Patrick's night as many people had opted to stay off the streets as a westerly gale brought cold and rain across the country.

Mr Richardson is understood to have died from a single stab wound which occurred during what is believed to have been a dispute among a group who had been drinking and watching the Cheltenham Festival at around 7.40pm on Thursday. He was taken to Beaumont Hospital where he was declared dead.

Mr Richardson was the father of an eight-year-old girl and two boys aged two and five, and, according to local people, the family had been homeless for several months, living in emergency accommodation in Dublin city centre and only recently finding more permanent rented accommodation in the Artane area.

The man charged in connection with Mr Richardson's death was remanded in custody yesterday and will appear again on Wednesday.

Despite Mr Richardson's death, gardai said they had dealt with much worse violence and drunken disorder on and around previous St Patrick's Days. Dublin city centre was described as being "busy but nothing out of the ordinary for a Friday night".

Extra officers were on duty throughout the day but they had little to contend with during the daytime celebrations.

Six years ago, after a succession of incidents involving drunken violence, gardai and city centre traders came to an agreement to restrict the sale of alcohol during St Patrick's Day.

According to people in the Harmonstown Drive area where Mr Richardson died, he had been socialising with a number of men who had spent the day drinking and watching the horse racing.

A loud row is said to have broken out in Harmonstown Avenue shortly before the stabbing was reported to gardai.

Mr Richardson was said to be lying outside a house and a man was arrested at the scene.

Sunday Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News