Thursday 18 January 2018

Teenager Marioara died from gunshots to head, trial hears

The body of Marioara Rostas (inset) being removed from the Dublin Mountains in 2012
The body of Marioara Rostas (inset) being removed from the Dublin Mountains in 2012

Eimear Cotter

A TEEN found in a "foetal-like position" in a shallow grave in the Dublin mountains died from gunshot wounds to the head, a former deputy state pathologist has said.

Dr Khalid Jabbar was giving evidence at the trial of Alan Wilson (35), who is accused of the murder of Romanian teenager Marioara Rostas (18).

Dr Jabbar said the postmortem revealed the cause of Marioara's death was four gunshot wounds to the head.

The accused, of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, has denied murdering Ms Rostas at Brabazon Street, The Coombe, between January 7 and 8, 2008.

Her body was found in a shallow grave in the Kippure-Sally Gap area on the Dublin/Wicklow border on January 23, 2012.

Dr Jabbar told the Central Criminal Court he was taken to a woodland area in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains on January 23, 2012.

There he found a shallow grave about two feet deep, with a body lying in it in a foetal-like position, and leaning towards the right-hand side.


Dr Jabbar said the body was found in dark, grey plastic wrapping, secured by duct tape.

The jury heard the body was taken to Tallaght Hospital where Dr Jabbar conducted a post-mortem.

He said Marioara's body was in a foetal-like position and no part of the body was visible through the plastic wrapping.

Dr Jabbar said Marioara's body was covered by a bedsheet and eight grey plastic bags, as well as clear plastic wrapping. A pillow case was over her head.

She was wearing a bra, but had no jewellery, rings or watch.

Dr Jabbar said he conducted an examination and found evidence of physical violence. There were four gunshot wounds to the head.

He also said multiple metal fragments were recovered during the post-mortem.

The trial of Mr Wilson began on Wednesday before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of 10 men and two women.

On Wednesday, prosecutor Sean Gillane said Marioara arrived in Ireland in December 2007 and began begging with her parents and young brother.

They were begging around the Lombard Street/Pearse Street junction on January 6, 2008, when her brother saw her talking to a man in a Ford Mondeo. The man gave €10 to the brother, who noted a partial car registration.

Her family "never saw her alive again," Mr Gillane said.

The jury was told the prosecution will maintain Marioara was last seen alive getting into Mr Wilson's car in Dublin.


But the defence has said it is not admitted that Mr Wilson, who denies murder, was driving the car at the time of her death.

Mr Gillane said a witness, Fergus O'Hanlon, who was friends with the accused, would say that on January 7, 2008, he was called to Brabazon Street.

The accused came downstairs with a gun and said he "wanted to show him something".

The evidence would be Mr Wilson showed Mr O'Hanlon the corpse and "made remarks to the effect she was a witness".

Mr O'Hanlon would say they drove into the woods, dug a shallow grave; the body was rolled into it and "Mr Wilson used his foot to secure her".

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News