Teenager found guilty of attack is remanded in custody
A TEENAGER, who repeatedly kicked a youth after he was already beaten semi-conscious, has been remanded in custody.
The 17-year-old boy has pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to assault causing harm to the youth (aged 18) at James's Walk, in Rialto, Dublin 8 on June 5, 2010. He had also pleaded guilty to less serious assaults on two of the victim's friends, a teenage girl and boy.
Another juvenile was detained last year for his role in the attacks and today the teenager was back before the court. There were two bench warrants for his failure to appear in court on previous dates, Judge Aingeal Ni Chonduin was told.
Judge Ni Chonduin heard that the boy was not making an application for bail and she remanded him in custody to appear again on Monday.
At an earlier hearing, the court had been told that 18-year-old victim was set upon in a “random unprovoked attack” by the defendant and his accomplice, who had both been on a vodka and beer binge. Two of the victim's `friends tried to protect him when he was knocked to the ground but they were struck by the attackers.
Garda Gary Keelan had said the defendant “repeatedly kicked him on the ground when he was unable to defend himself.”
The victim “had been rendered semi-conscious from the beating”, had lost teeth and would need dental work for his injuries.
The teenager had consumed seven bottles of beer on the night of the attack and his “recollection of it is very poor”, the court has been told.
Earlier the defence said that a psychological report on the boy was to be prepared; the court was was also told that it had emerged that there were issues in the boy's background that needed to be addressed.
The teen, has continued to come to Garda attention; he is currently in awaiting sentence for a robbery and another assault.