Thursday 18 January 2018

Teenager chased into dead end before being stabbed, murder trial hears

Natasha Reid

A DUBLIN murder trial has heard that a teenager was chased into a ‘dead end’ before being stabbed nine times in a darkened area of an apartment complex.

The Central Criminal Court heard that on the night of March 19, 2011, David Byrne had ‘nowhere to go’ after being chased into the car-park of Emmet Court in Inchicore, where he received fatal stab wounds.

Marcus Kirwan (19), of Cooley Road, Drimnagh, has pleaded not guilty to murdering 19-year-old Mr Byrne, who had lived at Davitt House, also in Drimnagh.

An Inchicore resident told the first day of his trial that he drove by ‘a group of lads’ as he returned home to Emmet Lodge shortly after 10.30pm that night.

“As I was driving by them, they pulled their hoods up,” said Thomas Quinn of the three or four males.

He testified that he slowed down at the speed ramp as he entered the complex.

“As I slowed down, the lad that was stabbed ran by me,” he recalled. “There was another lad not too far behind him,” he continued, explaining that the other males slowed down.

“The lad that was stabbed ran into a dead end,” he said. “The (other) lad caught up with him because he had nowhere to go.”

He explained that there was a six or seven-foot high wall in that area.

“As far as I could see, he was trying to make it over the wall,” he said. “It all happened so quick.”

Mr Quinn said he thought the incident was a ‘digging match’ at first as he thought he saw the second man punch the first man in the back.

However, as he parked his car, he heard someone scream: “Help him. He’s after being stabbed.”

He said that the victim was staggering as he made his way towards him, but then fell to the ground.

“There was blood on the side of his mouth and I could feel his back was all wet,” he explained.

He said he held a t-shirt to the teenager’s back to try to stop the bleeding and rang an ambulance.

“He was trying to struggle to get back up,” he added. “I couldn’t understand what he was saying.”

Another resident said she saw three people running towards the gate that night, one with a knife

“Two were running first and a short distance behind, there was a third man,” explained Imes Kmiecik. “The last man was carrying a knife.”

She said the knife was about 30cm long and that the man was holding it to his right.

She said that all three, who had their hoods up and their backs to her, then jumped over a wall.

She also rang the emergency services and ran to the injured man.

“I saw he was stabbed. There was blood all over his face and side,” she said.

“He kept saying he couldn’t breathe,” she added.

Earlier, Denis Vaughan Buckley SC, prosecuting, said that Mr Byrne was rushed by ambulance to St later that night.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan and a jury six men and six women.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News