Tuesday 16 January 2018

Teenager charged following high-speed rampage in south Dublin

The damaged Eircom van
The damaged Eircom van

A TEENAGER has been charged in connection with a high speed road rampage in south Dublin last night in which five cars were damaged.

Stephen Kelly (19) was granted bail when he appeared in Dublin District Court today charged with being a passenger in a stolen vehicle.

He was one of four people arrested after a stolen Eircom van led gardai on a chase that ended with a multi-vehicle crash in Ranelagh village.

Mr Kelly, with an address at Windmill Park, Crumlin is charged with unauthorised carriage in a vehicle at Sandyford Road.

The charge is under Section 112 of the Road Traffic Act.

Garda Shane Cahill told the court he arrested the defendant at 10.10pm on Ranelagh Road last night and brought him to Irishtown Garda Station.

He made no reply to the charge after caution. Garda Cahill initially objected to bail. The case was put back briefly in the morning's list and when it was recalled, Defence Solicitor Amanda Connolly said bail conditions had been agreed.

Judge Michael Walsh set bail in Mr Kelly's own bond of €500, on condition that the accused signs on daily at Crumlin Garda Station, observes a curfew and resides at his home address.

He is to notify gardai of any change of address and must provide a mobile phone number at which he can be contacted 24 hours per day.

He remanded the accused on bail, to appear in court again on April 3, for the directions of the DPP.

The defendant, wearing a navy and yellow hooded body-warmer jacket, black and grey striped top and light grey tracksuit bottoms, did not address the court during the proceedings.

According to gardai, an Eircom van was stolen from the Georges Street South area by two men and two women.

Garda have alleged the van that was taken was driven at high speed through the city and eventually came to a stop in Ranelagh Village after colliding with a number of vehicles.

A total of two men and two women in their late teens were arrested at the scene and brought to Pearse Street and Irishtown Garda Stations where they were detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

One man remained in custody in Pearse Street Garda Station this morning while one girl was released without charge.

An 18 year-old woman has been charged, released on bail and is scheduled to appear before the court at a future date.

During the garda chase, five cars – two parked and three moving - were damaged.

The drivers of two of the cars, two men, were injured and taken to St Vincent's and St James's Hospitals with minor injuries.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News