Teenager banned from Dublin city centre
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy, who allegedly attacked an elderly man with a bottle during the course of two house burglaries within the space of thirty minutes, has been banned from Dublin city centre.
The teenager has been charged with two counts of burglary at the Navan Road in Cabra, in north Dublin, in the early hours of May 27 last. He was remanded in custody by the Dublin Children's Court on the following day. However, on May 29 he was granted bail on condition he obeyed a 10pm to 8am curfew, signed on three days a week at his local garda station and not have any contact with the burglary victims.
He had also been barred from the Dublin 1 and Dublin 7 areas and told that he must abstain from alcohol. However two days after getting bail he was charged for being intoxicated to such an extent he was a danger to himself and others, engaging in a breach of the peace and resisting arrest at East Sussex Street, in Dublin 2.
He had been remanded in custody again last Friday after neither of his parents attended his case. On Tuesday his case resumed but no family member was present again. Today the court heard that the Dublin teen's parents were out of the city to visiting a sick relative.
The boy's adult sister came to the case and said she would take him home. But she asked the judge to ban her little brother from “the whole of the city centre” and explained he was drinking too much and she feared he could end up abusing heroin like two of her other brothers.
Judge Ann Ryan also noted that the HSE are to re-open their file on the boy. She released him saying the bail conditions remained in force and he also had to engage with drug abuse services.
The judge also agreed to ban him from the D1, D2, D8 and D7 areas except at times when he has to come to court.
The boy, who has not yet entered pleas to any of the charges, was warned that he would lose his bail and stay in custody for a long period if he broke the conditions again.
He was given two court dates to appear again, one this month and the other in July.
In relation to the burglaries, the court has already heard that the teenager allegedly entered two houses and confronted residents. It was claimed they occurred in the space of half an hour. During the second burglary it was alleged that he was confronted by an elderly man who lives there. “He threw a glass bottle at the occupant of the house striking him on his nose,” a garda has told the court.
Further charges could be brought against the boy, Judge Ryan has also heard.