Monday 19 March 2018

Teenager allegedly tricked pensioner into believing attic was flooded, court hears

Tom Tuite

A 17-YEAR-OLD boy charged with stealing €4,200 from a pensioner who was allegedly tricked into believing his attic was flooded, has been remanded on continuing bail.

The teenager, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, and a 24-year-old man had been charged earlier at Dublin Children's Court with theft and trespassing offences.

It is alleged they stole €4,200 from an infirm 79-year-old widower, at his home on Ballyfermot Parade, in west Dublin on October 8 last.

The teenager was later granted High Court bail and appeared again at the Children's Court today.

Judge Ann Ryan was told that the State was seeking more time to obtain directions from the DPP in relation to the boy's prosecution. It has not yet been indicated whether his case will be dealt with in the juvenile court or instead go forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.

Judge Ryan ordered the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, to appear again on November 27 next. The teenager has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.

Earlier Detective Garda James McDevitt had told the court that a 24-year-old man and the teen had entered the elderly man's home claiming there had been reports of a leak in his attic that needed to be fixed.

It would be alleged the man removed insulation from the pensioner's attic and wet it in the bathroom of the house.

The elderly man paid €2,200 and was allegedly told to go to his bank and withdraw €2,000, the court has heard. It was claimed the pensioner withdrew the money and handed it over and a demand was made for another €2,000.

Det-Gda McDevitt had said there was no evidence of any burst pipes in the attic and a piece of insulation had been found in a bath in the widower's house.

The court heard that the elderly man felt threatened and has been left in an extremely distressed state.

Det-Gda Jason Miley had said it was alleged the teenager blocked him and his colleague from entering the house. The front door lock had to be forced by gardai to get in and the pair were allegedly found in the kitchen of the 79-year-old man's house.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News