| 6.3°C Dublin

Teen to decide on plea over claims he 'ripped' clump of hair from woman's head

A YOUTH accused of tearing a clump of hair from a woman's head during violent phone snatch in Dublin city-centre has been given two weeks to decide how he will plead.

The boy, aged 17, has been charged with robbery of the 27-year-old woman, on the evening of February 25 last at Beresford Place, Dublin 1. The teenager had been held in custody for a week for breaking bail terms but was released last week.

He appeared again at the Dublin Children's Court today and was accompanied to the preliminary hearing by a family member.

In an outline of the the allegations to decide jurisdiction, Garda Alan Power told Judge John O'Connor that it would be alleged that the woman “had her phone taken from her, a clump of her hair was ripped from her head”. It was alleged that the robbery was witnessed by gardai and the teenager was arrested following a foot chase and found hiding in a bush but the stolen HTC phone worth €480 was missing.

The boy has been ordered to obey a curfew from 9pm to 7am, not consume alcohol or illegal drugs and sign on daily at his local garda station. He has also been also banned from loitering in the Dublin 1 and Dublin 2 areas

Defence counsel Aoife McNickle told Judge O'Connor today that the boy has abided by these conditions since he was released last week.

Judge O'Connor said it was a “serious case” but decided not to send it forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.

He remanded the boy on continuing bail to appear again on May 7 next to allow him time to consult his lawyer. He will be expected to enter a plea to the charge at his next hearing.

Online Editors