Teen remanded over axe attack on neighbour’s car
A DUBLIN youth, who denies using an axe to wreck a neighbour's car, has been remanded on continuing bail.
The car owner has since withdrawn his complaint after he was allegedly threatened, the Dublin Children's Court has heard, however, the DPP has decided to proceed with the prosecution.
Yesterday Judge John O'Connor ordered the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, to appear again on September 6 to confirm whether his trial will be going on later that month.
The 17-year-old had been charged earlier with criminal damage to the vehicle which was damaged in Dublin city's south-side on a date last December. The teenager had been refused bail two days later following objections from gardai, however, he was later granted bail in the High Court.
Earlier, Garda Eoin Kane had said the car owner had been allegedly threatened days after the incident and has withdrawn his complaint.
In an outline of the prosecution's evidence, Garda Kane had said it was alleged that there had been a row and another person with the boy had “produced a knife and attempted to slash” the owner of the car.
It would be alleged the teenager and the second person used a three-foot axe to damage the roof, bonnet and panels of the man's car and smashed all the windows in the vehicle. About €3,000 worth of damages are alleged to have been caused to the car which was written-off.
The court has also heard that the man withdrew his complaint after a threat was allegedly made against him. “The injured party is no longer willing to co-operate with gardai,” Gda Kane had said.
An adult male is also facing prosecution in connection with the incident.