Friday 23 August 2019

Teen drops injury claim after photos of him training shown

The before-and-after pictures of Craig Melia on Instagram
The before-and-after pictures of Craig Melia on Instagram

Ray Managh

A talented footballer has withdrawn a €60,000 personal injury claim after social media photos of his body-building and soccer training regime - following a road accident - were produced in court.

Barrister Shane English told Craig Melia (18) the pictures had been posted on Instagram by him after the accident and at a time when he claimed he had to give up what "meant the world" to him - soccer and body improvement.

Mr English, who appeared with Liz Lyons of Hayes McGrath solicitors, told Mr Melia in the Circuit Civil Court that he had posted before-and-after pictures lauding how his body had developed from 2016 into 2017, the year he had the accident which had allegedly prevented him playing football and going to the gym.

"You deliberately lied to every doctor you met in relation to this case," Mr English told Mr Melia.

Mr English, who represented motorist Joseph Fitzgerald, of Holywell Rise, Swords, Co Dublin, and RSA Insurance, told Mr Melia that his father, also allegedly injured in the accident, was taking a claim against the defendants for personal injuries.

Mr Melia, of Swords Manor Court, Swords, Co Dublin, said he was helping his father move furniture in a van on January 1, 2017, when the van was hit by Mr Fitzgerald's car.

He said the accident had diminished his lifestyle.

Mr English told Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke that he was applying for the case to be dismissed on the basis Mr Melia had misled doctors and the court in his evidence. Following a break, Judge Groarke was told that Mr Melia was withdrawing his claim.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News