Teen charged with murder of Japanese man in Dundalk 'unavailable and not fit to be produced', court told
AN 18-YEAR-OLD youth charged with the murder of a Japanese man in a stabbing in Dundalk was “unavailable and not fit to be produced", a court was told today.
Mohamed Morei, who was remanded in custody on January 4th after being charged with the murder of 24-year-old Yosuke Sasaki, failed to appear at his third hearing as he was receiving ongoing treatment in the Central Mental Hospital (CMH) in Dundrum.
Defence solicitor Barry Callan provided Judge Victor Blake with a letter from a consultant psychiatrist at the CMH, stating that the defendant will not be in a position to attend his case at Cloverhill District Court over the next four weeks.
Judge Blake further remanded the accused in custody in his absence and adjourned the case until February 8, when it will be listed for mention.
He also asked Mr Callan to let the court know "if there were any changes in Mr Morei's circumstances", saying an updated letter would suffice in place of an official report.
Mr Sasaki was fatally stabbed on Avenue Road shortly before 9am on January 3.
Mr Sasaki from Ebina, west of Tokyo, worked at National Pen, a call centre in Dundalk, Co Louth and had lived in Ireland for the past year.
Following his death, an Irish man was injured when he was stabbed a short time later on Coes Road in the town.
At 9.40am, gardai received a report that another local man had been injured in an attack at Seatown Place.
Mr Morei, whose nationality has not yet been confirmed, was initially remanded in custody by Dundalk District Court on January 4th last after he was charged with the murder of Mr Sasaki.
Garda Inspector Martin Beggy had said at that hearing that the youth's nationality had not yet been undetermined.
If he seeks bail this application will have to be made in the High Court, because he is facing a murder charge.
About 1,500 people crowded into Dundalk town centre on January 8th for a candle lit vigil in memory of Mr Sasaki's life. In a letter from his parents, read aloud by local councillor John McGahon, they said that their son had been very happy in Ireland.
A fund-raising drive was also launched by local people to cover the costs of his repatriation.
At Mr Morei's second hearing at Cloverhill District Court on January 11th defence barrister Aoife O’Halloran had told Judge Blake it was her understanding that Mr Morei “was not fit to attend”.
On that occasion Judge Blake was also furnished with a letter from a psychiatrist at the CMH outlining that the accused was unfit to come to court due to medical treatment.