Saturday 15 December 2018

Teen charged with knife murder of man with cerebral palsy

Adam Muldoon Photo: Gerry Mooney
Adam Muldoon Photo: Gerry Mooney
The teenager accused of the murder of Adam Muldoon appeared at the Children’s Court in Dublin. Photo: Gerry Mooney

Tom Tuite

A 17-year-old boy has been remanded in custody with an order that he get "urgent psychiatric attention" after he was charged with the murder of Adam Muldoon, who was found dead in Tallaght in Dublin after being stabbed.

The body of Mr Muldoon (23), who was from Tallaght and had been affected by homelessness, was found at 6.30am on Saturday at Butler Park.

Mr Muldoon, who had mild cerebral palsy, had sustained stab wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

His body was later removed to the city morgue at Whitehall where a post-mortem was carried out by the Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster.

The Tallaght youth, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, was arrested at the weekend and brought to appear before Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday morning.

He was charged with the murder of Mr Muldoon on June 23 at Butler Park, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Dressed in a white T-shirt, grey trousers and grey runners, the youth sat with his arms folded as evidence was given by Det Garda Nuala Burke of Rathfarnham station.

She told the court the teenager was arrested yesterday for the purpose of being charged in relation to murder.

She said he was cautioned that anything he said would be taken down and he made "no reply".

The charge was then put to him, after which he was cautioned again and in reply to the charge he said: "No." He was then handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Due to the nature of the charge, the Children's Court cannot grant bail and an application will have to be made in the High Court for him to be released pending trial.

The boy, who did not address the court, was accompanied to the proceedings by his visibly upset grandparents.

Judge O'Connor asked defence solicitor Michael Hennessy if medical attention was required for the defendant.

"I have deep concerns about my client's psychiatric well-being. I would ask for a direction for urgent psychiatric attention on arrival at the place of detention," Mr Hennessy said.

Judge O'Connor acceded to that request. Judge O'Connor remanded the boy in custody to the Oberstown detention centre. He will face his next hearing at a sitting of Tallaght Children's Court on Friday. Legal aid was granted.

The judge also reminded journalists in relation the teen's right to anonymity, adding: "I'm particularly focusing on social media."

The teen was hugged by his grandparents just before he was escorted from the courtroom. His grandmother burst into tears as she left.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News