Teen accused of flooding and setting fire to cells in St Pat’s remanded
A DUBLIN youth charged with flooding and setting fire to cells in St Patrick's Institution has been further remanded in custody after a court heard his parents will not take him home.
The boy, then aged 17, has been accused of taking part in three criminal damage incidents at the centre in Dublin for young offenders' where he had been detained earlier this year.
It is alleged that on February 6 last, he set fire to a cell, mattress, pillows and duvet, flooded two cells, on February 5 and five days later.
Last week, Dublin Children's Court heard that after he was charged he replied: “I did not just flood the cell for a laugh, I did it for a reason.”
The teenager, who was accompanied to his hearing by family members, did not apply for bail on July 9 last.
An order had been made that the youth would get medical and psychiatric attention during his remand in detention.
The teenager, who has not yet entered pleas, had also said that he had been sent to a mental health facility before.
Yesterday he appeared again at the juvenile court where defence solicitor Derek Burke said the youth's parents, who were present, are “at the end of their tether”.
Judge John O'Connor heard that the youth, who recently turned 18, has no permanent address and not currently welcome at his parents' home.
He remanded the teenager in continuing custody to appear again later this week and asked for a representative of the HSE to attend the case when it resumes.