Saturday 23 June 2018

Teen accused of assisting in rape of sister put in secure facility

Stock picture
Stock picture

Aodhan O Faolain and Ray Managh

The High Court has made orders allowing the child and family agency Tusla to place a teenage boy, accused of participating in the rape of his sister, in a secure facility for troubled youths.

Tusla sought the orders because the teen, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been engaging in behaviour that places his own life in danger and the safety of others at risk.

Lawyers for Tusla told the High Court on Monday that the 15-year-old has a history of drug-taking, alcohol abuse and has absconded from various placements. The teen is described as highly vulnerable, was exposed to anti-social behaviour from a young age, and has claimed he was sexually abused by a male relative.

Last year he was found late at night by gardaí on a Dublin street "unconscious, alone and hyperthermic," counsel for Tusla David Leahy said.

The teen first came to the attention of Tusla some years ago and has been the subject of care orders. He had gone back to live with his family, but could no longer do so and had up to recently been homeless.

Counsel said there were also a number of serious allegations against the teen that were being investigated, including one made by the teen's sister that he had held a knife to her throat while a friend of his raped her.

Other allegations of violent behaviour against the teen included that he had struck somebody with a bottle.

After hearing Tusla's application, Ms Justice Eileen Creedon made a number of orders including one allowing the teen to be placed at the secure facility by gardaí. The judge said the teen's situation was "very concerning".

The case will return before the court later this week.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News