TD's son accused of assaulting garda has case adjourned
A TD's son who is accused of assaulting a garda has had his case further adjourned as his defence lawyers continue to enquire about the possibility of an adult caution.
Fearghal O Snodaigh (23), son of Sinn Fein TD Aengus O Snodaigh, is alleged to have become threatening before resisting arrest and assaulting the officer in an incident at a garda station.
Judge Eirinn McKiernan adjourned his case for four weeks at the request of his solicitor when he appeared in Dublin District Court.
Mr O Snodaigh, of Naas Road, Dublin 8, is accused of assaulting Gda Niall Carolan at Ballymun Garda Station.
The offence is alleged to have happened on February 28 last year.
Mr O Snodaigh is further charged with obstructing Gda Carolan and using threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour, with intent to provoke a breach of the peace.
Today’s appearance was Mr O Snodaigh’s third court date in relation to the case, after he was summonsed in January.
Defence solicitor Ruth Walsh said enquiries were being made about the administration of an adult caution.
Judge McKiernan adjourned the case to a date next month.
The adjournment was on consent of the prosecution, a State solicitor said.
The accused, wearing a navy jacket, open-necked blue shirt and dark slacks was not required to address the court during the brief hearing. He was not required to be on bail as he was brought to court by way of summons rather than being formally charged.
He has not yet entered any pleas.
The charges are under Section 2 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act and Sections 6 and 19 of the Public Order Act.
According to gardai, the adult caution scheme is an alternative to the prosecution of certain people against whom there is evidence of the commission of a criminal offence, but where the prosecution of such offence is not required in the public interest.
The accused’s father, Aengus O Snodaigh, has been a TD for Dublin South-Central since 2002.